Product research is one of the most challenging—yet important—aspects of building a successful Amazon business.
Thankfully, there are a number of good Amazon product research tools to help you find the best products to sell.
But which is the best for your business?
In this article, I’ll break down the best options with pros & cons, standout features, and up-to-date pricing to save you the time and expense of testing each one individually.
In a hurry? Here are the best Amazon product research tools at a glance:
Want more info on these—and other—tools? Let’s take a deeper dive.
Master eCommerce with our 99-point Brand Growth Checklist
1. Helium 10
The industry-leading suite of Amazon seller tools excels in product research with its Black Box tool. Search by product, keyword, niche, and more to find profitable products to sell on Amazon.
Pros & Cons
Helium 10 is the biggest name in the Amazon software space for a reason. Constant innovation and development have created an ecosystem of tools that Amazon sellers of all sizes can use to grow a profitable business.
The Black Box tool inside Helium 10 gives you endless options for filtering through products on Amazon to find the right ones for your business to sell.
When you find potentially profitable product ideas, you can then dig deeper with the Helium 10’s XRay Chrome extension to analyze market data and run the Profitability Calculator to verify the profit margin and return on investment.
- Keywords tab: Rather than searching for single products, this feature within Black Box allows you to search for keywords that have page one results that together meet your criteria. A big time saver, and avoids random outlier products.
- Chrome extension: Helps you quickly analyze demand and competition (X-Ray), profitability (Profitability Calculator), and areas you could potentially differentiate (Review Insights). Having these features all in one tool speeds up product research massively.
- Free plan (limited usage)
- Starter: $29/mo billed annually
- Platinum: $79/mo billed annually
- Diamond: $229/mo billed annually
Special offer: Save 10% for life with code BBU10 or 20% for 6 months with code BBU20.
2. Jungle Scout
One of the longest-standing Amazon product research tools in the space. It’s easy to use and offers a wide range of features, making it a great choice for both beginners and experienced sellers.
Pros & Cons
Jungle Scout was the first product research tool I ever tried when I started selling on Amazon in 2017. Back then it was one of the only options, but has since faced fierce competition.
However, the competition has only helped Jungle Scout iterate and evolve into one of the standout options in a crowded market.
Search the Product Database to find profitable products within the criteria you set, or explore the Opportunity Finder to find high-volume, low-competition keywords.
- Data accuracy: Widely believed to have one of the most accurate sales data sets in the industry, recognized by keyword research tool Data Dive moving from Helium 10 to Jungle Scout data.
- Supplier database: Not strictly product research, but a great addition to the toolset. Find your competitor’s suppliers with this handy reverse-engineer database.
- Basic: $29/mo billed annually
- Suite: $49/mo billed annually
- Professional: $84/mo billed annually
Special offer: Save up to 35% with bundle plans.
A newer player in the space built by the founders of the popular course Amazing Selling Machine. Fantastic user interface that is a pleasure to use, and a fast-growing suite of tools for an affordable price.
Pros & Cons
Zoof is an extensive suite of Amazon seller tools with a strong product research offering built on the back of feedback from the very large Amazing Selling Machine community.
You’ll find Opportunity Finder and Opportunity Analyzer to help you find potential product ideas, and Profit Calculator will help you quickly assess all the key fees and expenses.
Accurate sales and revenue estimates help guide you towards products that are a good fit for your stage of the business.
- Omni Detective: A new tool that helps you find product ideas beyond Amazon that you can sell on other marketplaces and your own DTC website
- Live coaching: Weekly live coaching calls to help you use Zoof to its maximum potential and find profitable products to sell on Amazon & beyond
- Essentials: $33/mo billed annually
- Platinum: $67/mo billed annually
- Ultimate: $157/mo billed annually
Identify trending product opportunities with data-backed research and insights. A tool most Amazon sellers wouldn’t think of using but find product opportunities before anyone else putting you ahead of the competition.
Pros & Cons
Exploding Topics is a unique software tool that helps you identify trends on the rise. It has a dedicated product filter so you can search for products that are growing in popularity.
The risk with a tool like this is that you may get stuck in a fad-type market that could quickly die off.
However, if you are smart about your research and do your due diligence, you can unearth some great product ideas that other Amazon tools—and more importantly, sellers—are yet to pick up on.
- Trend filters: Sort by niche or product to quickly narrow down and prioritize trending topics.
- Long-term analysis: Filter data by up to 5 years in the past to ensure you aren’t diving into a fad.
The free plan gives access to a lot of helpful data. To supercharge things you can upgrade to Pro with one of the following plans:
- Entrepreneur: $39/mo billed annually
- Investor: $99/mo billed annually
- Business: $299/mo billed annually
A comprehensive Amazon product research tool that offers a wide range of features to help you find and validate profitable product niches and products. It’s easy to use, even for beginners, and it provides accurate and reliable data.
Pros & Cons
ZonGuru is a powerful Amazon product research tool that can help you find and validate profitable products to sell. It’s a good choice for both beginners and experienced sellers alike.
It also offers a number of other useful features for Amazon sellers, such as keyword research tools, listing optimization tools, and business analytics tools.
ZonGuru was also one of the first Amazon tools to innovate with AI-listing creation and no doubt have a lot of other interesting developments on the way.
There’s also a 7-day free trial, so you can try it out before you commit to a paid plan.
- Niche Finder: Generates hundreds of profitable product niche ideas in seconds
- Sales Spy: Tracks monthly sales data for any Amazon product
- Love-Hate: Reveals the strengths and weaknesses of any product
- Easy Source: Connects you with suppliers on Alibaba.com
- Researcher: $29/mo billed annually
- Seller: $49/mo billed annually
6. AMZ Scout
One of the lower-cost product research tools for Amazon sellers to explore. There are fewer tools within the suite than higher-priced competitors, but if you want a cost-effective product research tool, this is a strong option.
Pros & Cons
AMZ Scout is another product research tool that has been around for as long as I have been selling on Amazon. It has always been a smaller suite of tools focusing on the beginner sector of the market.
There aren’t too many bells and whistles, and you won’t see new tools being released at the same pace as its competitors, but AMZ Scout is a strong product research-focused option for new Amazon sellers.
- Product Database: AMZScout’s product database contains over 500 million products from 10 different Amazon marketplaces. Sellers can use the database to filter products by keyword, category, price, and other criteria.
- Quick View: Compare products with crucial data available on the product or search results page.
- Pro: $259/year
- Seller’s Bundle: $379/year
7. Viral Launch
A powerful and user-friendly Amazon tool suite that includes Market Intelligence, a product research tool that quickly grades product opportunities based on core success factors.
Pros & Cons
Viral Launch started its software journey as its name suggests… designed to help Amazon sellers launch products on the platform. I first used it to launch my products by doing giveaways—back when Amazon allowed that!
In time, Viral Launch pivoted to building a suite of tools that includes product research. The Market Intelligence tool was unique and innovative when first launched around 2019, but competitors quickly matched the functionality.
Viral Launch is still a good option overall, but in recent years has fallen a bit behind its competitors.
- Market Intelligence: Provides a simple 5-star validation of your product ideas, based on dozens of factors, including sales volume estimates, market trends, and competition levels.
- Product Discovery: Helps you find new product opportunities by filtering through Amazon’s catalog using over 100 unique criteria.
- Competitor Analysis: Provides insights into your competitors’ sales, reviews, and pricing strategies.
- Essentials: $58/mo billed annually
- Pro: $83/mo billed annually
14-day free trial available.
A free tool for Amazon sellers that supercharges Amazon product research. The Chrome extension makes it easy for you to pinpoint the perfect product that will fast-track you to the top of your niche.
Pros & Cons
Unicorn Smasher is a good option for any new Amazon sellers looking for a product research tool with a free plan.
This handy Chrome extension can be fired up on any Amazon search results page to quickly access estimated sales data, search volume estimates
- Accurate sales estimates: Comprehensive data based on real figures from tens of thousands of live products. Project the profitability of any niche with confidence.
- Opportunity score: Analyze the whole Amazon market for profitable products and score each product based on core criteria.
- $49.99 one-time upgrade fee for the pro plan
Frequently Asked Questions
Master eCommerce Inside BBU Pro
Get the expert-taught courses, live coaching calls, and supportive community you need to move forward with confidence and build a profitable eCommerce business.