Shopify Fee Calculator User Guide
This Shopify pricing calculator is designed to clarify the fees you’ll be paying at various stages of the growth of your online store.
As your sales grow, some plans will work out better than others, and it’s important to stay informed about when the best time to switch plans is.
Here’s the quick-start guide on using this fee calculator.
Step 1: Entering Key Metrics
Start by entering these key metrics:
- Billing Cycle: Choose between monthly or annual billing. Shopify plans are 25% cheaper on an annual billing cycle.
- Payment Provider: Choose whether you use Shopify Payments or an external payment gateway like PayPal.
- Third-Party Fees: If the third-party option is selected, you’ll see an option to enter external payment gateway fees. This includes both a percentage fee and a fixed per-transaction fee. Many payment gateways charge 2.9% + $0.30c per transaction. So, if you’re unsure, use these default figures.
- Average Order Value: The average value of each order in your store. Calculated by dividing revenue by the number of orders.
- Monthly Revenue: The gross monthly revenue your Shopify store generates. Use the slider to model potential costs as your business grows.
Step 2: Understanding Your Results
Once you have entered the key metrics, you’ll have a clear picture of the Shopify plan that is best for you.
As you’ll see, the more revenue your Shopify store is generating, the more the higher plans start to make financial sense.
As a rough guide for brands using Shopify payments, here are the thresholds to look for and the most cost-effective Shopify plan for each:
- Shopify Basic: $0-$20k/month
- Shopify Standard: $20k-$150k/month
- Shopify Advanced: $150k-$200k/month
- Shopify Plus: $200k/month +
When using Shopify Plus, the $2,000 subscription is in place until you hit $800,000 in monthly revenue. At that point, you start paying 0.25% of your monthly revenue. For example, if your revenue is $1 million/month, you’d pay $2,500.
It’s also worth mentioning that the fees you will pay with Shopify Plus are not set in stone and will be negotiated when you speak to a consultant.
It’s also worth considering that you may benefit from upgrading your plan before these thresholds to access some of the more advanced features they offer.
THE ECOM MEMO
Stay eCommerce sharp in 5 minutes per week